Monday, June 24, 2013

Out and about in Peru!

Lately, I have been working on water system improvements, biosand filters, and a composting toilet for a mother's club...meanwhile, enjoying some good food too!!
Ceviche in Puerto Chicama - a famous surfing beach with the largest left-wave break in the world!!
This is the street outside my house the day the sewer pipes broke
I also helped the health post with some inspections at schools of "healthy snack" kiosks and hand-washing stations, a new program that they are starting to encourage kids to eat more healthy snacks!

Healthy snack kiosk at a local school
Girls washing hands
At the end of each month the municipality celebrates the birthdays of every employee that had a birthday that month! Each person receives an individual cake, and we all get to share in some treats. 
Birthdays
Meanwhile - it was my host sister's birthday! So we had a small party for her complete with a wonderful "selva negra" chocolate cake!
Host sister's birthday
I also visited a new chlorine-gas water system in a nearby Centro Poblado. We will be expanding chlorination systems into eight new Centros Poblados this month.  
New clorine-gas water treatment system
I have also been working on small-scale household-sized biosand filters out of 5-gallon buckets. Here is a boy enjoying the clean water coming out of his family's new biosand filter.
Biosand filter
While hiking around the spring-source of the water system in a Centro Poblado, I came upon a bunch of wild bananas! Gotta love the fruit in Peru :D
Bananas

No comments:

Post a Comment