I officially finished my Peace Corps service in November of 2014. A full 27-month commitment. It was quite the journey: I have grown in ways that I did not imagine possible, we built 12 composting toilets, a biodigester, a concrete soccer court, I taught dance classes to 10 young girls, and along the way I made amazing friends and will never forget my experiences in the wonderful community of Viru.
 |
| At my last Mother's Club Meeting - Viru, La Libertad |
In January of 2015, I started what is called in Peace Corps terms a "3rd Year" meaning that I elected to stay an additional year beyond my 27-month commitment, and continue my Peace Corps journey. I am doing my 3rd year in Chachapoyas, the regional capital of the department called Amazonas. Although it has a deceiving name, the department of Amazonas is not in the Amazon jungle, but in the sierra (mountains) and is called the "eyebrow of the jungle" because it is right between the coast and the jungle of Peru. In my words it is a "magical" place in the clouds, as the name Chachapoyas means the "Cloud People". I am helping/working with the water company that runs the Chachapoyas water system, and the global NGO Care-Peru with their rural water and sanitation Peru program.
I am so happy to have escaped the "summer" (summer here in Peru is Dec. - May) on the hot coast of Peru, but have found myself right in the middle of rainy season in the sierra. And here in Peru with the rainy season comes so many lovely GREEN things, life, and...landslides.
 |
| Mud landslide covering road |
But I have adjusted pretty well to my new life in Chachapoyas, I am living on the roof of a 3-story building, and I have hot water, wifi, and the best view! And I have awesome landlords, they helped me paint my room my first weekend here.
 |
| My house (with the tiles on front) next to the demolition/construction of our neighbor's house |
 |
| Previous pink-colored walls |
 |
| My room after our paint job! |
 |
| View from my window |
 |
| Main Plaza of Chachapoyas |
 |
| Main Plaza of Chachapoyas |
Even with the rainy season and getting settled in my new home, I have not been idle! There has been lots to do, from World Water Day (March 22) activities, to water treatment plant visits, and Peruvian marathons...
 |
| Chachapoyas water treatment plant |
There was a "marathon" (11km race) for the anniversary of a nearby town and so I decided to participate. Little did I know that it was a rely-race and I ended up running all of the legs of the race by myself! I finished dead last, but the view was worth the run!
 |
| At the start of the rely-race |
The route of the rely-race went down the windy road in the pic below, where it crossed a river and then steadily went back uphill out to the community on the right side of the 2nd photo.
 |
| First part of the rely-race |
 |
| The race ended at the community in the upper-right of the above photo |
 |
| World Water Day activities - learning about the water cycle |
 |
| Water Mural |
 |
| Decorating water drops |
 |
| FlashMove (not to be confused with a FlashMob, this did not include a choreographed dance) |
I am hopeful that this year is going to bring many more exciting adventures and experiences that will help me continue to grow as a person.
No comments:
Post a Comment