Monday, September 16, 2013

Hello Huaraz!

Some of my wonderful friends and I had the opportunity to hike the famous Santa Cruz Trek in Huaraz! Known for BEAUTIFUL landscapes and glaciers, we set-off on our three-day hike with a guide, donkeys to carry the camping gear, and smiles on our faces.
Breakfast first day
Lake with glacier water
Drive into the park, had to pull over to take a group pic!
Entering the national park
Hiking up the valley 
We arrived at our lovely campsite, nestled at the base of the glaciers that we would be climbing the next morning. Out campsite was equipped with sleeping tents, a cooking tent, eating tent, and even a bathroom tent!
Our campsite
Cooking tent
Eating tent
The bathroom tent
Kate using the bathroom tent
The second day was the big day...this was the day that we were to climb over the 15,500 foot pass!
On the way to the 15,500ft pass


Up up up we go!
The donkeys had a lot less trouble than I did...
Almost there!
We made it! 4,750 meters 
I was so proud!
Relaxing after the climb 
Still more hiking to be done, down the other side of the pass
Our donkeys
hiking hiking hiking
Through the landslide area

We had a truly magical time on our trek of the Santa Cruz Trail! I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good hike and lovely views. 

No comments:

Post a Comment