The past few weeks have been awesome as I have been immersed in water projects! I built two pilot biosand filters (BSFs) out of 5-gallon buckets to demonstrate the technology and educate the public about clean drinking water options.
| Cutting PVC pipes for the BSF |
| Drilling the holes in the collector pipes for the BSFs |
| Sifting sand |
| BSF with tubing and first layer of gravel |
| BSF complete! |
After the BSFs were complete I demonstrated them at National Pisco Sour Day in the main square! As people came to get their free Pisco Sour they also got to see my BSFs and find out what they are all about!
| My booth at Pisco Sour Day |
| Pisco Sour and clean drinking water |
I was also featured on two local news programs to talk about my BSFs, and people have started asking me more about them on the streets!
| Talking about BSFs on the news |
Meanwhile...I have been inspecting other water systems in the Centros Poblados (small communities within my community). Little did I know that visiting the water source in Huacapongo would entail an hour-long hike up a mountain!
| Starting the climb to the water source |
| Halfway to the water source! |
While on our hike we passed some ancient ruins, we saw the remains of a large wall built down a small canyon. Only in Peru do you stumble across ancient archaeological sites everywhere you turn!
| Ancient rock wall |
Finally we made it to the water source, a natural spring, after hacking our way through the vegetation!
| Made it to the spring! |
Other parts of the water system included two reservoirs, and we checked these out as well on our way back.
| Reservoir |
| Valve vault for reservoir is totally flooded with water |
I have been working hard and trying to get myself out there and known in the community! My next project is to start some pilot BSFs in Huacapongo and monitor the water quality improvements over the next few weeks, and hold some meetings to demo the technology there. Always more work to be done!
No comments:
Post a Comment