This post marks an important milestone in my Peace Corps journey...this marks the end of training and the start of 2-years of service in my site! And I am so ready to get started.
We had a celebratory breakfast with the whole water and sanitation "WASH 20" group to thank our wonderful trainer and be thankful for each other and our new friendships (since it was Thanksgiving after all).
 |
| "W" on the forehead is for WASH and then "2" and our mouths make the "0" in 20 (for WASH 20) |
 |
| WASH group practicing our Disney Medley for the talent show later in the day |
 |
| The La Libertad girls! |
Thanksgiving lunch in Peru with all of my wonderful Peace Corps friends!
 |
| Everyone pitched in and brought a dish for a Thanksgiving lunch ( I brought rolls) |
 |
| My plate, YUM! (loved the mac and cheese...) |
After our Thanksgiving lunch we had a party to thank our host families for taking care of us for 10 weeks during training. The party included a photo booth, slideshow, face painting, snacks, and a talent show!
 |
| My host family |
 |
| My host niece with her face painted |
 |
| Everyone ready for the talent show |
 |
| Group dance "de la selva" (forest/jungle dance) |
After our day of celebrations and Thanksgiving, we headed off to Lima to be officially sworn-in as Peace Corps volunteers. So, I am no longer an "aspirante" (trainee) but an official Peace Corps volunteer! WHOO Hoo!
 |
| Entire Peru 20 group with the US Ambassador |
Our official swearing-in ceremony was at the house of the US ambassador here in Peru. It was a beautiful ceremony with touching speeches as the ambassador welcomed us to our two-years of service! After taking an oath to uphold the constitution of the United States, we had a reception on the patio out in the sun with politicians and fine finger snacks, then we headed off for our celebration party at the house of the director of Peace Corps here in Peru, Sanjay Mathur.
 |
| Enjoying chicken wings |
 |
| Celebration at Sanjay's house |
 |
| For dinner we ate "anticuchos" which is cow's heart... |
 |
| Balloon dance party! |
 |
| I couldn't resist making balloon dog hats |
After a long week finishing up and celebrating the end of training, I headed off on an overnight bus up to Trujillo, my regional capital.
 |
| Here we are at the bus station after a 9-hour overnight bus |
We spent a whole day shopping for items that we needed for our new homes and I got to lug a new bed frame and mattress to my site on the top of a bus! But no worry, this is a common and normal activity here in Peru, so no one (but me!) even batted an eye when I said I wanted to strap my mattress to the top of the bus.
 |
| Putting my mattress on the top of the bus |
Then when I arrived in my city my host sister was waiting for me at the bus stop and we hired a mototaxi to drive my mattress to the house. Then the mototaxi driver carried the mattress inside for me, so during the whole journey I didn't have to lift the mattress once! Maybe we should take a lesson from Peruvians on moving furniture...
 |
| Mototaxi taking my mattress to my new house |
No comments:
Post a Comment